They come in a variety of textures, colours and packaging. Once you find one you like, there's no going back. I own quite a few and wanted to share my likes and dislikes.
- Mac Vanilla pigment is a loose powder product. Pigments are versatile and can be used as an eyeshadow or face product.
- Nars Albatross is a pressed powder, offering quick application.
- Vanilla pigment and Albatross are often compared to be dupes of each other, but they are actually quite different. Vanilla pigment has a more multi dimensinonal colour with gold and pink undertones , whereas Albatross is purely gold based. I really like both products but grab for Albatross more, as it's less messy than using a pigment.
- Mac Moon River (LE) is mineralised grand duo. It has two shades of pale pink which are quite shimmery and very pigmented. One side is baby pink and the other is a paler icy pink. I mainly use the paler icy shade of pink which is buttery to touch, it creates the most beautiful highlight on your upper cheekbones and is actually my favourite out of everything I own and the most used. My skin undertones aren't cool but I find that this still works beautifully.
- Mac LE Redhead is a mineralised skin finish (msf) rom the BBR collection. It has an incredibly smooth and buttery consistency and is highly pigmented. It gradients from a pale warm gold to a red warm gold. I don't actually show it as much love as I should, but I definitely like it.
- Bourjois touche illuminating touch in 96 rose universal is a baked powder highlighter. It is a lovely peachy colour but has chunks of silver glitter in it which annoys me slightly. The glitter doesn't actually transfer onto the face, it just creates a nice glow. It's a nice place to start but not something to add to your collection.
- Illamasqua Furore pigment is a loose powder product. It has a shimmery peachy finish which looks beautiful against warm skin tones, I like this but hardly ever use it.
- Illamasqua Glint is part of the Sirens collection. It is a bronzer and highlighter duo, Glint is a colour that doesn't look that impressive in the pan, but once applied looks amazing as the golden undertones really shine through helping to create a gorgeous glow. I love this and use it quite often along with the burnished bronzer.
- Benefit High Beam is a product I love and have used for years, it was actually my first highlighter purchase. It's perfect for creating a 'wet look' highlight as are all cream highlighters. I really like the contrast of the pale icy pink on my skin.
- MeMeMe is a UK copycat brand for Benefit, Beat the blues, Sun Beam is actually a replica of Benefits Moon Beam. It is a yellow toned gold shade which looks really natural on the skin. This is perfect for olive skinned girls, I love it and use it often when I'm doing everyday makeup.
- Illamasqua Lies is a pale ice cool pink, I had high hopes for this but actually hate it. The consistency is very sheer and the colour looks almost non existent on the skin. It melts away to reveal a greasy residue. However, I also own 'Rude' by Illamasqua and it's a totally different consistency, I have never had issues with it melting and actually love it. But, thumbs down for 'Lies'!
- Elf lilac petal shimmering facial whip is a pale icy lilac colour. It doesn't look that great on my skin tone therefore never use it. It would be best suited for those on the paler side as it has a great pigmented consistency. Elf is a good place to start if you are thinking of experimenting, they also do a lovely healthy radiance powder bronzer in 'Luminance' which is a gorgeous pale shimmery champagne colour with a pigmented and smooth texture for £1.50. I used to own it but it went walkies on holiday.
What's the best powder and cream highlighter you have ever used? My favourite powder highlighter is Mac 'Moon River' mineralised grand duo and my my favourite cream highlighter is between Benefit 'high beam' and Mememe beat the blues 'sun beam'.
I was sent all Illamasqua items mentioned, the Bourjois rose universal and the E.l.f shimmering facial whip. I was not paid to talk about any of the items, I am not affiliated with any of the brands and like always, this is my honest opinion.